Things to Consider When Selecting an Outsourcing Partner for Software Development
An increasing number of companies are turning to outsourced software development and it’s not hard to see why. Working with the right firm, you will achieve great results while saving time, money, and resources. Outsourcing software development can work to your advantage and help you gain an edge over competitors.
There are several key characteristics of a software development provider that will help you identify whether they’re the right fit for the partnership. You’ll find a lot of providers who seem to meet your expectations, but always consider the long-term. The following key characteristics to look for in selecting the right outsourced software development partner:
Vet Their Track Record.
Look for companies that you’ll be able to develop a long-term business relationship with. Make sure that the provider has a stable and sustainable business model. To ensure a successful partnership with an outsourcing provider, it’s essential to examine the track record of your provider – their expertise, capabilities, experience, previous clients, successes and failures, and style of working. To learn more about this, examine questions like these:
- How long have they been in the software development field?
- What kind of work ethics do they follow?
- Do they have experience working with the coding languages and application you have in mind?
Talk to Their Clients.
A software development firm with a long client list will speak volumes about their capabilities, reliability, and trustworthiness. Not only does it show a sign of professionalism, but it also shows their expertise, skill and knowledge. Software companies that service the industry as you are in would have worked with similar clients as you, and will be able to deliver your requirements with better understanding. Consider asking the following questions:
- Can they reveal some of their clients and the projects they developed?
- Find out the total number of clients they have worked with.
- What is the nature of the last three software products they built?
Vet the Team You Will Work With.
An experienced team that has worked on similar projects will fare much better in ensuring the success of your project. Of course, having the right team doesn’t mean anything if they’re not when your project starts, so make sure their schedule lines up with yours. Also consider asking questions about the following:
- The turnover rate for their employees
- The experience and qualifications of the team members you will work with
- The educational backgrounds of the team members you will work with
Get a Precise Quote on the Costs.
Project costing could become a pain point if it’s not dealt with in the early phases of the project. Ask for the expected cost of the project when you share the requirements with the provider. This will help you decide if they’re the right fit for your budget needs. Find out if there are any hidden costs associated with your project. Consider asking the following questions in this regard:
- What do they usually charge for similar kinds of projects?
- Are there any additional costs that could come up later?
- How and when will they expect payment?
Make Sure They Maintain Security and Confidentiality.
It is not uncommon for software companies to outsource some of their work to other development firms, especially for big projects. This could have security implications for your project. You should always discuss the security and integrity of your project before proceeding with the company. Be upfront and ask the provider if they have sub-contracted similar projects in the past. Some other questions will help you gain clarity on this:
- Do they sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to maintain strict confidentiality of their clients’ code?
- What are their best practices in protecting their clients’ source code, data, and other confidential information?
The key areas mentioned above are some guidelines that will help you find the right vendor to partner with for your software projects. A good software partner will prove to be an invaluable asset to your company, one that will be cost-effective and beneficial to your business goals as a whole. The ability to work successfully with a good and reliable vendor is a long-term partnership that can help your company to scale rapidly and effectively.
If you are looking for a service provider that can help you with your software development outsourcing or other IT outsourcing needs, Yempo has the track record, expertise and values. To learn more, contact us today!